-->

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!



Here's a little Thanksgiving poem I penned this morning, feeling all festive and everything:

May your Thanksgiving turkey be golden and plump,
Your gravy like velvet with nary a lump;
May your apple pie dazzle them all at meal's end,
Have a blessed Thanksgiving with family and friends!


That was fun! I saw a group of wild turkeys at the edge of our woods this morning that looked a lot like the fellow getting ready to peck at that pumpkin. Pretty brazen I thought, with Thanksgiving just a day away. I suppose they figure everyone's already gotten their holiday bird by now so it's safe to come back out!

I thought I'd share a favorite dessert recipe that I make every Thanksgiving. I love it because it's a make-ahead dish and I'm all about making whatever I can ahead! Once the mixture is in my 2-quart glass baking dish I cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate until after the meal. Then, when everyone is ready for pie, coffee and other desserts I pop this in the microwave for 15 minutes - easy peasy! My son especially loves this and looks forward to it every year. Hope you enjoy it too!

Cranberry Apple Crisp

5 cups peeled & sliced apples
1-1/2 cups chopped cranberries
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
¼ cup butter or margarine, melted
½ cup chopped nuts
Frozen yogurt, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream (optional)

In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, the 3 tbsp flour and cinnamon. Spoon into an ungreased 2-qt. microwave-safe casserole. In a small bowl combine rolled oats, brown sugar, the 1/3 cup flour, butter or margarine and nuts; mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the fruit. Microwave on HIGH 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from microwave carefully with oven mitts as dish will be VERY hot! Let cool as desired and top with frozen yogurt, ice cream or whipped cream.

Have a safe and happy holiday surrounded by those you love!

Peace,

No comments: