-->

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wish I Were There!




This is my friend Phyllis and husband Peter's sailboat, the "Aquilegia". They are retired and have spent the last several months sailing down in the Bahamas. The beautiful picture they sent me was taken on a recent sail to Long Island, one of the out islands that make up a group called "the Exumas". A Bahamian tourism web site calls the Exumas "an archipelago of 365 cays and islands, beginning just 35 miles southeast of Nassau, an exotic collection of tiny jewels set in the most beautiful aquamarine and sapphire water you’ve ever imagined." True that! I don't think I've ever seen such a gorgeous shade of turquoise water. I looked up the word "cay" because I wasn't quite sure of it's meaning, although I thought it might mean a small island, and I was correct. Phyllis' husband Peter took this shot because of the way the light was refracted by a gentle wave as they sailed through the water. They were both on the bow of the boat which was on auto-pilot. That's a hazy Long Island off in the distance, if you can take your eyes off that beautiful water long enough to look at other things in the picture.

People on the news refer to New Englanders as "winter weary" right about now, after our latest snowstorm dumped yet another foot of snow on us last Friday. I don't think I've ever seen this much snow on the ground, ever! So, my retired friend's wonderful sailing pictures were just what this winter weary New Englander needed! It gives me hope that somewhere in the not-so-distant future, we too will have sunny skies, warm breezes and smooth sailing!

If you're as winter weary as I am, wishing you some summer feelings to brighten your day!

1 comment:

Kim said...

We are "winter weary" in Nova Scotia too. Sailing away on the boat certainly looks appealing!